Sunday 13 May 2012

Leaving Zion


My days in Kenya, for now, have come to an end. I write this with sadness, though am happy to think about how I spent my time in Kenya: the friends I have made, the experiences I have had, the knowledge I obtained and the generosity and kindness emanating from countless souls. My last few weeks in Kenya were crazy busy as I was trying to wrap up projects and tie up loose ends before leaving the promised land. Though one cannot completely tie up loose ends as the work is continuous, Jah Works never ceases.



I spent my last weekend over at the Rasta farm in Maragua. I arrived on a Sunday and spent the whole day at the market with Ital Wandutu. Though there wasn't much movement in terms of sales, it was good to see the community interaction. I was also awarded the privilege of a drunk follower. He didn’t want to leave my side until he got paid. Apparently speaking more than one word to a foreigner provides ample reason for reward. Lucky for me, Ital Wandutu burned that fire (aka reemed him out). The next day we spent the day at the farm and transplanted avocado seedlings from the nursery to paper bags awaiting planting. The rains have now come to Maragua and we expect another fruitful season. I know they will continue to do good works - I will keep updating on my brothers progress ... onward and upward, from Kibera to Maragua to South Africa - good things are happening here.
Ital Wandutu
I should say a word or two about my close friend, Ras Githaka, founding member of Shiriki (though he wouldn't like it put that way). He was my first contact in Kenya and encouraged me to come out and volunteer. I have worked very closely with him over this last year, and he has been an immense source of information, knowledge and wisdom. In fact, he was always my go-to person should I have a crisis (in which there were a few) or needed quick advice. He was also with me in Kitui for the month I lived on the farm. If anyone wants to know anything about NGOs, agriculture, networking, Africa or African history, Ras Githaka is an encyclopedia of knowledge and one of the most articulate people I have known - thanks for all friend.
Ras Githaka on a treadle pump in Kitui

Next group: I wanted to spend substantial time with my women's group before leaving. They call themselves the Kibera Ladies. I tried to convince them to choose another name, but they could not be swayed, Kibera Ladies it is. Last post I talked about how we were brainstorming ideas for small business income generation. I was eager to get them started on a project before I left and in doing so, I probably rushed them too much. Teaching a group research and data gathering skills is not something that can be accomplished in a few short weeks. Nonetheless, there were three prevailing ideas that emanated positively with the group: making soap, making charcoal briquettes and owning a cereal shop. Making soap was the idea of member Rosinah. It is cheap to make soap, and you don’t need a lot of space for manufacturing. Unfortunately Rosinah did not gather the necessary information for the methodology needed for soap making before I left. Nonetheless, I have communicated with her since being home and the woman are making soap! The cereal store was another curious idea that group member Janet had. The downside to starting a cereal store is that it requires substantial capital start-up costs. I suggested to the group that they start on a cheaper business and once the funds are in place, to go forward with a cereal shop. They thought this was a good idea.

Lucy and Maureen


Now for the third idea: charcoal briquettes. I have long been interested in providing an environmentally friendly alternative to the charcoal that everyone uses for cooking in Kibera. The problem with charcoal is that it is destroying Kenya's forests and eco-systems as people chop down trees and burn them as a means for providing income. Most of this happens illegally and people chop down the trees, burn them, and sell them to middle men buyers who transport them to the major cities. There are many alternatives to charcoal, such as manufacturing charcoal briquettes using agricultural by-products. At the Toi market in Kibera, there is an abundance of agricultural waste that is thrown out. This ranges from rotten fruits, vegetables, banana peels, leaves, sugar cane, corn husks, etc... a goldmine! We found a kibanda (stall) to rent in Kibera, near Toi market, where the women could manufacture or sell whatever they desired and agricultural products were close on hand.
Toi Market

As I was eager to start making charcoal briquettes, me and Lucy, one of my members, spent a few hours digging and hunting through the garbage in Toi. Though not all the members were sold on digging through garbage to make charcoal briquettes, I did have a couple members who were on board. This must have looked a bit bizarre, a "muzungu" (white person) digging through the garbage at the biggest market in the slums. Luckily there was an abundance of sugarcane bagasse right on the surface which we collected and transported to our kibanda. We also managed to find people that were throwing out banana peels, so took a whole ghunia (sack) of that. We found furniture stores who sold us a ghunia of sawdust for one dollar. Dirty and tired, we had a nice assortment of bi-products to try out. Covered in Kibera garbage, I walked away tired, dirty, but satisfied.


I drew up a design of the type of machinery that was needed to make the briquettes to a local welder in Dagoretti. It involved making a hand-held cylinder with a removable lid that could be pounded by a hammer (or in my case a rock) to make a solid briquette. You put your products inside the cylinder and then pound the lid down on top of it to make a nice round briquette. I then went to our kibanda in Kibera to experiment on making briquettes using sawdust and rotten bananas and peels. As I worked away, my local Kibera community members came by to see what I was up to. One response I particularly remember was: "well muzungu - you are trying..." Not sure about the succeeding part, but trying I was.


The briquettes need a couple of weeks to dry before you can cook with them. Also, it is the rainy season at the moment, so drying may take even longer. Unfortunately I had to leave before we could try to cook with the briquettes, but I know the kibanda will be awaiting when I return. Another method that can be used to make briquettes involves burning sugarcane bagasse and corn husks using an oil drum strategically cut with small holes in the bottom and a big hole in the top. I researched the procedure and equipment needed for this project and went to my right hand man: Shuba, to see where I could obtain the supplies. There is a large market downtown where one can purchase oil drums - I went downtown, bought an oil drum, got it strapped to the roof of a Kibera matatu, and went to deliver the goods.

In Kibera I found a welder who was able to cut the holes and make a lid. Though we did not get to start burning before I left, I know the oil drum will be ready and waiting for me when I return. Additionally, the women can begin to experiment with burning the agricultural by-products at anytime to make a charcoal dust. (though I have doubts they will begin this process before my return). Nonetheless, I also managed to contact some different universities already engaged in this procedure with different groups in developing countries. They are willing to partner with us and I look forward to following through and working with them when I am back in Kenya. Here is a demonstration video that I found with a university in the US which I corresponded with. If interested in charcoal briquettes, check it out (cool video) :





As for Soweto academy, I was too scared to go back to that part of Kibera after being chased by gunpoint by the youth gang. They knew who I was and what I looked like and I know they were still looking for us. I figured if I needed to go back there I would bring some serious security with me. Nonetheless, I have made several contacts in Dagoretti who are willing to buy their water. Now it is up to them to follow through and maintain those customers. I would still like to keep looking for donors for the computer proposal back in Canada though - I think I need a bit of God's help to find the right sponsors on this one.
<> 
Shuba and Purity

I am desperately going to miss some of the very flamboyant characters I have come to know and love. Walking through Dagoretti as matatus fly by, Shuba yells out: "Jah Will, get in...." Running and jumping inside the moving vehicle I hear a passenger say something something Mzungu. Always my defenders, the dagoretti youth burn fire "Yeye si mzungu!" (She is not a foreigner). The youth have told me "Jah Wil, your skin may be brown, but your heart is black." While there are obvious differences between my Kenyan brothers and sisters and me, Kenya has become HOME.

Speaking of flamboyant youths, here is a fun project I helped a local youth with. Jah Warrior, whom I have mentioned before, the aspiring artist and musician who is constantly painting, drawing, writing movie scripts and making music. I filmed a music video of him performing his song "bedroom gully" in Kawangware. The song is about the wealthy businessmen and politicians of Kenya who exploit the young women growing up in poverty. There is something surreal about filming music videos in the ghetto. As I was filming in this small little video rental studio with the song blaring in the background, people were walking by, children dancing as they heard the music, I remember thinking: is this real? Am I really here ... how PRIVILEDGED am I that I get to experience this complete other world. Thanks to JAH for providing the bridge. Anyways, this video still needs some editing, but here is a draft of his work.





To keep my foot in the Kenyan door, as I previously mentioned, I need to come up with some methods for generating income. One idea that I am investigating involves buying land. As urbanization increases at a rapid rate in Nairobi, so does the value of land. I am particularly interested in buying land close to Nairobi so that I can potentially live on the outskirts of the city and commute to the town. In addition, I am interested in agriculture and having a small farm. I was not able to buy land before I left, though am trying to maintain some of those contacts to buy land when I return.

In addition, we bought a matatu. Oh yes, those crazy Nissan vans pimped out to the nines with drivers chewing miraa (plant stimulant) and crazy conductors hanging out the door fighting eachother to convince one more passenger to come inside. Matatus are quite a cultural item in Nairobi, they blare music (usually reggae) often come equipped with a TV screen (in which music videos are playing) and sometimes have Christmas lights flashing on and off. I shall continue to report on how this initiative is going, or not going.



The day that I have been dreading, April 19th, came far too quickly. I remember sitting in a bus driving through Kibera with tears in my eyes. I see all these animated people, and the truth is, their lives are not easy, but still, there is such a spirit of energy and LIFE here. Yes, this is combined with burning garbage, sewage trenches, and as already mentioned, a high degree of danger, but also there is music, community, a sense of collective responsibility, and the most beautiful land and people one could ever hope to see.

Some of my Dagoretti youth

It was not fun packing up all my belongings to leave though I was overwhelmed and blessed by the number of people who stopped by or called to say goodbye. In fact, there was a crowd of about fifteen youth hanging out by the road outside my gate which included Jah Warrior, Rajab, Mjomba, Willy Wonder from my Seti CBO and many other youth I have gotten to know in Dago. This community has meant so much to me in these last 6 months, leaving... SUCKS.



After saying goodbye to Dagoretti, I head to Kibera to say goodbye to Costanzia, the Kibera Ladies and Shiriki. First thing, we meet Costanzia who has been patiently waiting for me at her kibanda. She gives me about 15 chapatis as she wants my entire family to try her chapatis. The generosity and sincerity of this beautiful women is overhwleming. Unfortunately, since being home, I have been able to communicate with everyone except for Costanzia, I have hope she is doing well and I will keep trying to get her.



Next stop: the rasta foundation. It is 8:30 pm and I walk into the Haile Selassie Foundation. Everyone is surprised to see me, they thought I had aleady left. Ras Benaiya, Ras Faya Ng'ang'a, Ras Maruri and Ras Makoau are all there. The thing about the Rasta livity that I love, is their complete awareness of being conscientious in every aspect of their life, they have taught me so much about meaningful living. Ras Benaiya walks me back to the road after saying my goodbyes. I have worked closely with him on many projects and he will be our Shiriki representative at the South Africa conference. Ras Benaiaya is fairly small in stature but speaks with incredible authority, truth and burning fire.

Ras Benaiaya, Sara and ME (with head covered)

Final stop, my women's group. This group was a tough one to leave because they have barely gotten started. I constantly kept thinking, how can I leave these women? Nonetheless, they will be okay without me. And, since being home, we have managed to stay in touch, Rosinah keeps me updated on their progress. I am praying for them, I will continue to encourage them, and when I return, will be a present source of support for them should they need it! (I wish I had some better pictures of them, but unfortunately my camera broke my last month in Kenya).




I never would have thought I could have had the experiences that I have had. This year has been a crazy amazing ride - and is not over. Though I am back in Canada now, I know I will be returning to Zion. And when I do, I will be there to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment