Sunday 12 June 2011

I give thanks for another great week. While headway happens in a different way with a different style then my life back in Canada, I am learning a great deal out here, including how to step out of my comfort zone.

A big youth event was organized this weekend to showcase the musical talents of several youth in Kibera. A big stage was set up in the middle of the slums, and performer after performer got on stage to show their skills. Not only was this a great way to get the youth out and performing, practicing being out in front of an audience, but they got to perform directly to the Kibera community.



The theme of the event was to empower Kibera youth. Performers shared the message that each and every youth has the resources, ingenuity and creativity to generate their own sustainable solutions for the future. There is much creativity, intelligence, and human capital concentrated in Kibera, and youth spoke to other youth about rising up, being proud of their culture, country and of course, themselves. The organization invited youth to visit the base where they could learn more about small business development, employable skills and income generation.


Kibera youth face many challenges. After they complete school, many youth (specifically the ones raised in the slums) have no practical skills or experience for employment. Unemployment is incredibly high amongst this popultion, and figures show that up to 4/5s of Kibera's youth are without work. There are methods of survival where one can generate one dollar a day to live off of, but it is far from a quality life (will post more details on this later).

My role in this whole event was to document, collect data (for program reporting), and represent for the "international volunteers" (of which I am the only one). I am not the sort of person who enjoys being the center of attention. However, I am amongst a group of people who have no problem talking to video cameras, speaking in front of crowds, and articulating in perfect detail (with no prep time) what the significance of each event and moment is. I am still learning and observing, and am often asked to share my opinion.

I felt a little bit odd being interviewed by a local Kenyan paper. I tried to appear natural, but I couldn't help but think of how my upbringing is a complete contrast to the upbringing and resources available to these youth. I am very much still learning about the challenges faced by Kibera's youth and felt rather unqualified to comment.

Nonetheless, there is nowhere else I would rather be. It is an honor to be here, to get to know the youth, hear their stories, and learn what I can.

1 comment:

  1. It's so neat to hear how you are being used with your skills to be able to serve and come alongside the people in Kenya. Thanks for sharing a bit about Kibera's youth. I'm sure you are a blessing to them and am excited to hear what you continue to learn and experience there :)

    ReplyDelete